Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Witchy Woman

Before I got that disturbing news below, I was about to blog my brand new witch's hats and halloween jewelry! It was about time some really nice quality sculpted witch's hats hit the market. I've named all of my hats after famous witches :)

I've been cackling and wearing this outfit around, and singing my own theme music to myself "dundunnananana, dunananana, duna! duna!" This one is pure fun, a tall, elegant witch's hat for absolutely anyone, and it's utterly timeless. Elphaba was the name that the author Gregory Maguire gave the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. It has a fun oversized brim and a very tall crown, and it's actually pretty historically accurate. It has a simple buckle that comes in silver or gold, with a hat band that comes in black, or white for tinting. But, for the modern witch who might not be into the deep and dark or cauldrons of newts, you might want to try this one:

Kiki was made in the tradition of adorable gothloli witches and their cute poofy dresses. This hat definitely says "I'm a witch by trade, but who says I can't be friendly?" The character of Kiki in Kiki's delivery service was a sweet, hard working and dedicated young witch, and while she didn't actually wear a witch's hat, I gave her one with a big fabulous bow on the back like the one she always wore on her head.

I also wanted to honor one of my very favorite witches, whom I've been a big fan of ever since I first read the first Harry Potter book: Minerva McGonagall.

Minerva to me, is a traditionalist with a bit of flair, she's conservative yet she's playful. I spruced up this fabulously floppy hat with a fan of cock feathers and a hat pin, which I created just for this hat. As you can see, it's adorable and perfect for halloween, and perfect for Minerva, who can turn into a cat! But.. once I'd made the pin, I realized I loved it too much to just keep it only to a pin on a hat... why don't I make matching jewelry?

I love this set, and I just wish that I could have Halloween jewelry as classy as this in real life, but nooo it's all flashing pumpkin heads and light up ghosts. The brooms especially are absolutely adorable, and make great earrings; they're a lot primmier than they need to be, but hey, I figured I'd splurge. I love the jewelry and the hat together, and you can match them to any outfit since they're both available in 5 metals (gold, copper, sterling, antiqued and tarnished).

It may seem early to some, but Halloween is even more fun in Second Life, since you really can dress up as ANYTHING! And I for one am really excited about it ^_^

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the hats - Candy looks fantastic in hers! Perhaps you might consider some "Discworld" inspired witchiness - Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Magrat Garlick and Tiffany Aching should all provide plenty of inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Despite the dramatic topic when I visited, I really loved seeing these in person. :) The cat sculpt is particularly awesome IMO.

... so much yum with sculpties... gotta get me some Zbrush, clearly. Argh!

Anonymous said...

Oh these are FABBO!!! I was lucky enough to take a trip to see 'Wicked' in London last week and the Elpheba hat is perfect. I agreee that the cat sculpt is just amazing, I'd wear this stuff in RL never mind SL! Well done, and I'll be stocking up for Samhain!
=^..^=